Hodan Fishing Cooperative Somalia

Hodan Fishing Cooperative

Hodan Fishing Cooperative (“HFC”) was established in 2011 and is one of the largest wholesale fishing companies in the Nugaal region of Puntland. The company harvests and processes fish in Eyl and distributes and sells its fish in Garowe. Around 70% of the company’s fish are caught by its own fleet, while the remaining 30% are sourced by other fishermen. HFC has developed a quality process for all of its products whereby the fish are first inspected, weighed and cleaned, and then sorted, packaged, and frozen before transport.

In order to transport its goods from Eyl to Garowe, and expand its customer base throughout Puntland, HFC needed to increase its harvesting capacity and obtain a more modern system of chilled transport. With support from Shuraako, HFC received enough capital investment to procure additional fishing boats and make use of chilled transport. The additional capital has increased the supply and extended the life of HFC’s fish, ensuring that it fetches the highest market price. In addition to processing and distributing fish, HFC has partnered with Kaalo Nederland, a Dutch NGO, to train over 300 fishermen throughout the Nugaal region.

Hodan Fishing Cooperative Company Highlights

Enterprise Size: Small
Year Founded: 2011
Project Sector: Fishing
Jobs Created: 18